Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Costuming & Conventions

As a child I always loved costuming. When I was 5 my mom made me the Little Orphan Annie dress & it was my absolute favorite thing in the world to wear. Then she made me the blue dress with the white pinafore apron from Alice In Wonderland. I would do a few Halloween costumes but we didn't celebrate it much as a kid. One costume that really sticks out in my mind was when I dressed up as Jeannie from I Dream Of Jeannie.

Then I grew up & as The Doctor says...You never want to do that. As a teenager I was a closet geek & wished for the guts to dress up again. I had very few friends & I was afraid of what people would think it they knew. (Yes I say that a lot.)

Once I was in my 20s I started dressing up again but just for Halloween. It started out mild as Wednesday Addams, then Morticia. I had fun making costumes & had to work really hard to make Ariel, The Little Mermaid costume. I wanted to do more complex costumes so I turned to the best & most talented seamstress I have ever met, my Mom.

She would sew the really hard items while explaining to me what she was doing while I watched her every move. Or she would stand over my shoulder & tell me what to do step by step teaching me as I went. It makes me nervous when she does that but it really does teach me a lot.

Together we made Bat Girl one year then we did Harley Quinn. Mys sister & I got the idea to dress up together & our mom agreed to help us make the costumes if we would make special appearances in them for the kids at church. It was such a small price to pay that we readily agreed. My sister is blond so she went as Rainbow Bright & I was original Strawberry Shortcake with my lovely red hair. We had a blast & had professional pictures done just for our mom.

I got very ill for a few years & was unable to do much of anything. When God healed me I came back full force stronger than ever. I wanted to do everything & finally sat down to make a costume I had thought about for years but had not yet done. I made my own Poison Ivy costume. It was one of those tedious projects that was made fun by knowing how awesome it would look in the end. I walked around with various friends on Halloween & discovered that not many non-geeks really understood who I was dressed as. Too many people thought I was Eve with out my Adam or just some tree/plant lady. I had the same experience with the Harley Quinn costume being called a jester or just a Harlequin. Silly me thought that since Poison Ivy had been around longer & had greater exposure to the normals out there that she would be a little more popular. Once again the normals of the world disappointed me. That is part of what made me decide to try out going to a convention.

I had heard that the local fandom conventions were just drunk fests for geeks to gather & grope one another. I had even been told my those close to me that I wouldn't like conventions, but I wanted to give them a try for myself. I did a bit of research & got word that a newer multi-fandom con in the area was better than the others. I went in with fairly low expectations but I wore my Poison Ivy costume anyways & barely in the door when people were wanting my picture.

We walked all over & saw multiple vendors with lots of cool toys & collectible stuff. Which is great but even better, I found a group of people that I can call MY people. One guy ran 3 panel discussions all relating to my unhealthy obsession Doctor Who. There was really a place for me here! People didn't judge me & I met those that knew even more about The Doctor than I did.
My best friend & I went to many other panels but the ones that I remember the most were the Harry Potter discussions & the Whoniverse related talks. Oh & there was a great B movie Fistful of Brains- A western zombie film. I met so many wonderful people & for once, didn't feel like an outsider. There were room parties but for most people, that was where the drinking stayed & wasn't excessive.

All of us dressed in various costumes, you never knew what you were going to see next from The Cult of Snuggie to a group of Stormtroopers marching through the parking lot. Some costumes were store bought but many were hand made. Some were cheap & simple & some had spent hundreds of dollars & so complex that I had to wonder how much time it had taken to make them.

One year later I'm helping run the Doctor Who panels & volunteering to work the convention. We told the man who put ConNooga together how a small group of us had formed into a Doctor Who "fan club" because of the 2009 con. We had a fan table to help promote the love of all things T.A.R.D.I.S. related in the Tennessee Who Authority. For 2010I didn't have a Doctor Who costume so I wore my older costumes. One day I was Strawberry Shortcake & the next Bellatrix Lestrange costume that I do for the Harry Potter movies. I enjoyed being polar opposites from one day to the next.

My enjoyment of the convention grew so much that I decided to branch out & go with friends to TimeGate 2010. I felt as though someone had made a convention just for me. It was Doctor Who, Stargate, with a splash of Joss Whedon thrown in. Lets take my favorite sci-fi shows & spend a weekend of talking about just those shows. I was such a happy little fangirl!

It felt surreal meeting Carmen Argenziano who played Jacob Carter on Stargate SG-1. He just sat across the table & chilling out with us. At one point in time I actually thought to myself "Holy crap Jacob Carter is joking around with us". At that time I thought I was going to cry because when I was sick watched a lot of SG-1 & I would joke that a Tok'ra symbiote would blend with me to heal me or that The Doctor would pick me up in his TARDIS & take me into the future where they could cure my disease. I told Carmen about my time of watching him while I was in the hospital & how we would joke about the cures. The man stood up & hugged me, thanked me for sharing my story with him. He then complimented me on how healthy I look today & my excellent costume. Which by the way is my newest, & most awesome costume of them all. My mom & I spent well over 50 hours making it but she made me the red Miss Hartigan dress. I am hoping to make the Cyber Kind head piece by Dragon*Con but we shall see how that turns out.

This will be my first year at Dragon*Con. Once again I am being told I will hate it but I want to experience it for myself at least once. I know I love small conventions but at least once I want to attend a large one. There are only a handful of stars or famous people that I would want to meet. Anyone with a hand in anything Doctor Who related of course so I'll try to get in to see some of the Torchwood people. Mainly I just want to have the experience of being in that large of a group. I will be with a group called Girls of the Con since I have a small picture in their calendar.

I love costuming & having been found by GOTC I have finally made it into a calendar! I have those model friends that are gorgeous with their store bought boobs, fancy clothes, & never have a moment when they're imperfect in any way & always cool. Now I can finally tell them that I made it into a calendar & all I had to do was be nerdy self.

5 comments:

  1. Jen -

    Congratulations and you and your mom for making it into the GOTC calendar!

    Your red dress at TimeGate this year was AMAZING!

    My BF Daniel & I enjoyed chatting with you at TimeGate! Your gorgeous red dress truly magnificent, and with your timeless face and figure, it was a perfectly smashing costume to ice the cake of TimeGate for all who attended and saw you there!

    Thank you for sharing a wonderful story of how Sci Fi played such a significant part in your life. Your mom sounds like a very special & obviously talented lady who must ADORE having you for a daughter, knowing you are following in her footsteps...

    I've been a closet geek myself since the 1960's watching Star Trek with my father. The Original Series episodes gave a father and daughter years of entertainment & laughter (though I was probably too young to understand what I was laughing about in most episodes.)

    As an adult, Sci Fi played a very significant role in my own parenting experience with my son.

    I'm so very thankful that we had so many great Sci Fi series on TV in the 90s and 2000's.

    ALL the fabulous series of Star Gate and Star Trek gave us common ground to communicate during his tough teen years, and helped us when we both needed to take our minds off of our own medical situatioins for several years.

    My son and I traveled through space and time together on our living room couch, and even though he's 20 now, we STILL go to Dragon Con together and in costume! (Now we are joined by his GF and my BF now too!)

    Sci Fi continues to positively impact my life.... I met the most amazing love of my life almost 2 years ago and we talked about Star Trek and Star Gate for most of our first date. (OK...yes, we still talk about Sci Fi most of the time.) He told me he was "knew he met the girl of his dreams" when he saw my official Star Gate replica mirror in my bathroom, complete with it's realistic (to me) wavy blue event horizon, and my 5 foot long sharpened steel Klingon Bat'leth hung up on the wall in my family room above my autographed photos of Sci Fi actors. Then he really knew I wasn't kidding about being a geek.

    He then told me about this fantastic series I had somehow never watched before - about a time lord "doctor" with a sonic screwdriver and an assistant, who travel around the universe in a blue police box. How did I MISS all that for so many years!?

    Now my son and I have "caught up" and we've seen every episode starting with Chris Eccleston, through David Tennent and Mark Smith... And I've seen many of Tom Baker and working on trying to see all the other doctors too...

    We may have been a little late, but we are now die-hard Dr Who fans as well.

    Meeting Carmen Argenziano at TimeGate 2010 this summer was a WONDERFUL experience. He is such a genuinely kind and caring man with a great sense of humility and humor. Because Time Gate was so small it was really fun to feel that Carmen was just hanging around to get to know his fans in a very cozy setting rather than being on a big stage for "Q&A" for just 40 minutes like he would have at a bigger Con.

    See you at Dragon Con Jen!
    We'll be in Star Trek attire and maybe play Pirates for a day as well.

    Warm Girl of the Con geeky hugs!

    Sue Lin Lange (facebook)

    We were dressed in SG1 costumes at TimeGate.

    Also - we played Jack & a miscast female "Daniel" in Carmen's Impromptu stage play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dragon con is great fun though tiring, and truly an amazing adventure. Check the Dragon Con folder in my gallery on DA :)

    http://skiesofchaos.deviantart.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I think, in many ways, we ALL have this story, this validation we're in good, even EXCELLENT company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As another former closet geek I'm glad that you decided to embrace the geek way of life. Life is too short not to do the things you love. The best part of it is that cosplay gave you and your mom an excuse to enjoy each others time and that is always a good thing. I sorry to hear about you being ill but so glad that you are better now. I have to agree with the last comment, there is no better feeling than the validation that Y.A.N.A.(I couldn't help myself).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We hope that one day we can grow in to big boy britches and get some bigger celebs! We are excited over the Tennessee Who Authority and glad to have a replica of the TARDIS at Con Nooga 2011.
    Plus we are soooo glad you chose us to be your first! :)

    ReplyDelete